January 30th, 1942, Moscow, Kremlin
On improving performance of KV tanks
In order to improve the performance of KV tanks, the State Committee of Defense decrees that:
- NKTP (comrade Malyshev) and Kirov factory director comrade Zaltsmann must:
- Increase the torque of the KV tank by:
- Increasing the V-2K engine power from 600 hp to 650 hp.
- Changing the final drive gear ratio.
- Changing the amount of teeth on the drive sprocket.
- Begin the production of tanks with these changes on February 15th of this year.
- Permit NKTP (Kirov factory) to produce two experimental KV tanks with a new 8-speed gearbox and supercharged 700 hp diesel engine by March 10th.
Perform trials along with GABTU and present a proposal to GKO on the production of KV tanks with a new gearbox by March 25th.
Chair of the State Committee of Defense, I. Stalin."