On IS tanks
We present for your approval a GOKO decree project titled "On the production of IS tanks"
The project includes:
- Adoption of the IS tank designed by comrade Kotin by the Red Army. The tank passed state trials and completely satisfies tactical-technical requirements.
- Production of the IS tank at the Kirov factory, starting with 25 units in November and 75 units in December.
- Production of an IS tank with a 122 mm D-25 gun (A-19 in tank form) in September.
- Production of an experimental IS-152 SPG with a 152 mm gun-howitzer on the IS chassis by October 15th.
Such an SPG, while having more powerful armour, will weigh no more than the existing SPG on the KV chassis (45.5-46 tons) and will have a faster speed.
- Production of IS-152 SPGs at the Kirov factory, starting with 5 units in November and 30 units in December.
- Due to IS tanks and IS-152 SPGs entering production, the KV-85 will be removed from production in November and SU-152 in December.
- In order to further increase the armour and armament of tanks, the project proposes production of experimental 800 hp tank diesel engines in November and use of the current M-30 aircraft diesel in tanks with 1100-1200 hp power.
We ask for your approval.
September 2nd, 1943"